Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Guatemala Day 8: Small Blessings




My dad and I took the chicken bus to the small village of Esperanza yesterday. Everything in Guatemala seems to be a mile or so walk. The Spanish school is a mile from our home, the market is a mile from our home, etc. So when the chicken bus let us off at Esperanza Village, it was no surprise we had another mile walk to the school. We are getting lots of walking in!

My close friends and family know that I have a terrible fear of dogs. It stems from my childhood and I haven't been able to get over it. It's irrational, I know, and I try not to show it in front of my kids but my heart beats out of my chest when a dog, big or small, comes near me. So as my dad and I were walking along this long dirt road, there were random dogs just following along. No leashes, no owners, just dogs meandering. Surprisingly, I was not scared. Later, as I was contemplating this, I was reminded of what the teacher at Esperanza told my parents when they asked if she ever felt any fear working in the village. She told them she really isn't scared at all and she has an unexplainable (God!) peace working in this dangerous area, because it is where God planned for her to be. We aren't staying in Guatemala for a year like she is but I had a taste for how she felt today. There is no doubt in my mind if we were walking similar roads in the US, I probably would be terrified. Add in a few stray dogs and I would have been jumping out of my skin.  God's peace is amazing. 


No comments: